Dec 16, 2011

First Winter in America

Characters: Sewa, Lali, Koili, Nikki and Rabina

All are Nepali girls spending their first winter in America. 
Sewa is reading, Lali is watching animes, Nikki is chatting, and Rabina is watching TV.

Koili walks into the room wearing tiny clothes. Sewa looks her over with a critical eye.

Sewa: Koili, I know you are stylish, but look, it’s snowing outside! Don’t you think it’s a little too cold to be wearing shorts and a blousy top?

Koili (indignantly): Hey, this is actually my full sleeved shirt and long pants. This is what the dryer did to them!

Lali : Hmm, that explains why my blanket cover fits the pillow now.

Sewa: And my shawl became a handkerchief! I now wipe my nose with it! (Dabs her eyes with a thick pink hanky.)

Rabina: You snotty little kid! You should have listened to me and washed your clothes by hand. That’s what I did, and my clothes still fit me! In fact, that reminds me, I washed and hung a couple clothes outside, I should go get them!

Nikki (hurriedly grabbing the remote from Rabina’s hand): Great, that means I can watch some TV now!!

Lali and Sewa come along to watch TV, which is showing some pretty violent riots. Lali’s eyes grow larger and larger with every second.

Lali: OMIGOD, what is that? Are the Americans doing andolan to protest something?

Sewa (nodding her head in a concerned manner): Yea, and it seems pretty intense too! The newsreader said that today is “Black Friday”! Something really bad must have happened, why else would it be named “black”? Is someone dead or something?

Nikki: Black Friday is not a day of mourning, silly! Black Friday is the day after thanksgiving. On this day many stores offer huge discounts on their products. People line up outside the stores before the stores open so that they can buy before the stocks finish!

Sewa (disgruntled): Hmph! Still doesn’t explain why it’s called black!

Koili: I think I will shop for some tickets then, I want to go visit my brother in Arizona.

Nikki: Because there is a lot of traffic jams, mobbing, and riots, like you can see on TV! This is the busiest shopping day of the year as Christmas shopping opens today.

Koili: OMIGOD!

Lali: Yes, I know how you feel. I felt the same when I saw it on TV! Some people queue up all night, in this freezing November weather, I would never do that, not even for a roomful of fluffy toys on 99% discount. Maybe I would if it was a boxful of my favorite movies. Or maybe….

Koili: Oh god, who cares about some stupid discounts!  Look at the price of the plane tickets! They are sky high! FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS FOR A ONE WAY TICKET? ONLY LAST WEEK THEY WERE ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!! I THOUGHT YOU SAID WE GET DISCOUNTS FOR BLACK FRIDAY, I WAS EXPECTING TICKETS FOR 20 DOLLARS!

Nikki: Come on, Black Friday doesn’t apply to everything! Tickets are an exception, the price of tickets rises according to demand! And winter is holiday season, what with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas arriving one after another. A lot of people travel in the holidays, so the demand must be pretty high at the last moment. You could have gotten cheap tickets if you booked six months ago, but 20 dollars? You wouldn’t have got that even a year ago! 

Rabina: OMIGOD!! I am so shocked!

Sewa: Haven’t we had too many OMIGODs already today? Why is Rabina still shocked about Black Friday?

Rabina: Who cares about Black Friday? Look at my clothes, I hung them to dry outside and now they are as hard as wood.

Rabina shows her clothes. Each of them is frozen in U-shape, as if they were still hung over an invisible clothesline. Her towel looks like the hard cover of a book with the pages missing.

Koili: Oh no, we forgot it’s below freezing point outside! Look, some of the dripping water has frozen at the end of the clothes!


Sewa: Hmm, I wonder if that frozen piece would be called stalagmite or stalactite. You know, Harry Potter wonders the same thing in Gringott’s underground passage….

Rabina stares daggers at Sewa. Sewa decides to explain, though in a smaller voice.

Sewa: umm, you know, about limestone formations…

Rabina: I DON’T CARE ABOUT ANY LIME STONE, LEMON STONE OR ORANGE STONE, UNLESS I CAN USE IT TO CLOBBER THIS SHIRT INTO SHAPE! I NEED TO GO TO WORK TOMORROW AND THAT’S MY FAVORITE WORK SHIRT!

Koili: Calm down dear, we will hang your clothes over the heater to dry!

Rabina: Phew, there are so many of them, I will be up all night drying each of them individually over the heater!

Lali: Here, have some chocolates, it will cheer you up. I got them from my office, my boss had a basket of chocolates on his desk!

Rabina (forgets her troubles and beams): Wow Lali, from now on you get us delicious chocolates every day, ok!

Lali: I think my boss put it out just for the holiday season! People are feelings generous and want to share their happiness! If you ever went to the library, you would see most of the staff have put some goodies on their desk, so you can go around eating chocolates all day from various desks if you want!

Nikki: HEY, NOBODY EAT THOSE CHOCOLATES!! YESTERDAY I SAW MY COLLEAGUES TRYING THEIR BEST TO AVOID IT! THEY WERE PUSHING THAT BOX OF CHOCOLATES AWAY FROM THEMSELVES!! I EVEN SAW A FEW OF THEM DUMPING ITS CONTENTS ON OTHER PEOPLES’ DESKS WHEN NO ONE WAS LOOKING!

Lali: That is because they are dieting silly, they all want to avoid overeating!!!

Nikki: Huh?

Sewa: Who cares, we got free chocolates, yupee!

Lali: Hmph, I guess people must be really dieting in the holiday season, which is why nobody cleans the dining rooms! In Nepal we clean and scrub our houses for the holiday season, here I just saw spider webs when I went to eat out last month. There was even a spider sitting on my table!

Rabina: Haha, did you even manage to eat with the spider sitting nearby?

Lali: No, I shrieked and ran out as soon as I saw it!

Rabina: That explains it, you didn’t look closely enough. The spider is made of plastic and the web is of cotton. They were all fake dear, just Halloween decorations!

Lali (looking like a deflated balloon): phsssssss. I thought decorations were meant to be pretty, not scary.

Rabina: Wait till you see Christmas, every house is going to look lovely! With the ornaments and lights and statues, it is going to be as pretty as Tihar!

Lali: Oolala, I am going to have fun looking at them!

Nikki: Great, I will buy you all some Christmas gifts today. After all, it’s Black Friday!

Koili: And I will book my tickets right now instead of waiting for the last minute!


NOTE: If you like this post, please vote on the poll on the top right corner. And please vote for Sewa, since I am the one who brought this conversation to you :D


Published in Parakhi blog: http://www.parakhi.com/blogs/2011/12/02/winter-in-america-part-i
http://www.parakhi.com/blogs/2011/12/09/winter-in-america-part-ii
Reactions:

6 comments:

kopila said...

it remind of our oldddd days together .life is fun with u guys ...

vote for koili .. :P

Shaili aka LALI said...

Yes I was taken back to the time. Once again all of your support is needed.. vote me vote LALI :D

divs said...

Kopila -It makes me laugh when u were expecting tkt for 20 bucks (isnt't black for airlines lol...)

Srujan said...

nice one!! :)

Anonymous said...

muhahahahahaha funny seriously but i am not into this shiatttt. u better change profession or better get one. muahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

I wonder why you are struggling with such talents :(

There was an error in this gadget

Followers